Modeling and Simulation Course
This simulation course is designed for operations research analysts, systems and industrial engineers, military planners, computer scientists, and technical managers who would like to use simulation to design and optimize real-world systems. It encompasses a full spectrum of applications, including defense, manufacturing, healthcare, transportation, supply chains, communications networks, process reengineering, call centers, services, mining, inventory control, and financial analyses. The course presents definitive methods for developing a simulation model, ensuring its validity, choosing simulation software, selecting input probability distributions, analyzing simulation runs, and project management. A case study illustrates the step-by-step application of simulation-modeling techniques. Students will have an opportunity to analyze simulation input and output data in class using Excel and ExpertFit. The prerequisite for this seminar is a basic course in statistics, or the equivalent. The importance of current “hot” topics in simulation modeling such as AI/machine learning, digital twins, and simulation-specific cloud computing will be carefully explained.
Onsite versions of this seminar have been given for organizations such as Boeing, Caterpillar, Coca-Cola, Defence Research Development Canada, GM, Hewlett-Packard, IBM, Kimberly-Clark, Lockheed Martin, Los Alamos National Lab, Motorola, NASA, NATO (Netherlands), NSA, Sasol Technology (South Africa), U.S. Air Force, U.S. Army, and U.S. Navy.
This is one of the world’s most-successful continuing education courses, having been presented more than 500 times in 20 countries on 6 continents over a 40-year time span. SEE UNPARALLELED TESTIMONIALS
Each Attendee Will Receive the Following:
- The book Simulation Modeling and Analysis (5th Edition, McGraw-Hill, 2015) by Averill M. Law – widely considered to be the “bible” of simulation with more than 175,000 copies in print and 23,900 citations
- An opportunity to talk to Dr. Law on a one-to-one basis about your particular applications
- A certificate of completion that is personally signed by the instructor
What You Will Learn (look to the right for more detail):
- Designing and Optimizing Systems via Simulation Modeling
- Selecting Simulation Software
- Hot Topics in Simulation Modeling - AI and Digital Twins
- Building Valid, Credible, and Appropriately Detailed Simulation Models
- Modeling Randomness in Real-World Systems
- Reaching Correct Decisions from Simulation Output Data
- Case Study
- 20 Critical Pitfalls in Simulation Modeling and How to Avoid Them
Critical Questions That the Seminar Will Answer:
- What is a definitive overall approach for conducting a simulation study?
- What is the best simulation software?
- How do you decide on an appropriate level of model detail?
- What are the proven techniques for ensuring model validity and credibility?
- How can you accurately model the randomness in your system?
- How can you determine the correct length of a simulation run?
- What are 20 critical pitfalls that can sabotage your simulation project and how can they be avoided?
- What are AI/machine learning, digital-twin technology, and simulation-specific cloud computing and how can they benefit your organization?